Thursday, August 11, 2011

Can I refuse to take depression and anxiety medicine if I am 15?

When I was 12 I went through a difficult period. I didn't feel confident in myself and my body. I was treated with depression medication and did not mind taking the pill. I then developed anorexia. I was treated at a hospital as an outpatient. I never liked doctors and I felt that the doctors helping me were not treating me with respect. In fact, I don't believe they were treating me or talking to me as a person. The doctors treated me as a disease, they said that everything I said was just because of anorexia. I screamed for attention becasue no one would listen to how I would like to be treated. I became manic when my doctor announced that I would need to take another medication, an anxiety pill. I was so upset because I felt decisions were not being run by me, I was not involved in conversations, and I wanted other options for treatment besides pills. The doctors told me to see a therapist but by then I had lost my trust, respect, and total overall relationship with them. When I was taken to the therapist I was rebellious and did not speak!! After I overcame anorexia my doctors and parents still told me to take these depression and anxiety pills. After sustaining a healthy weight for years now I do not want to take these medications anymore as they remind me of my troubled past. I want to be completely clear of that unpleasant situation. After visiting with several doctors over six months-a year, none of the doctors have agreed to allow me to experiment with coming off my medications. They say "I do not see why we have to mess up a good thing, these pills are working for you." (they are refering to my great grades and level attitude) I try to argue that I have alwyas had good grades and have matured since 12-13 (as I am 16 in february and in a new town and school) The doctors also bring up the fact that my family has a history of depression. I argue that no one can tell if my depression is hereditary or permanant until I try to come off of the medication and evaluate the effects ( some people actually most people have temporary side effects). The final reason my doctors will not let me come off the pills is that my parents observe anixous and short tempered behavior after not taking the medication for a few days. My argument is that this happens to most people for a brief period when coming off an addiction (my case pills other people maybe ciggerettes) I have gone against my doctors and secretly have stopped taking the pills for one month now. I went through the anixious side effects and now I feel fine! And no one has questioned me being off meds of noticed strange behaviours. What should I do to get my parents and doctors to agree to let me come off of this stuff? Am I old enough to refuse it? I can't hide this for long! THANK YOU AND HELP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment